Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Blog #2

Article Name: 8 states seek sex offender data from MySpace.com

This article stood out to me because a lot of people in our society use MySpace.com to talk with friends and others. To me I think that Myspace is a very scary thing, it opens up so much personal information about someone that anyone is able to read about. Now I know that you can protect your pages by making them private, but that doesn’t stop anything. This article to me made MySpace even scarier, I have a 14 year old sister who has a MySpace account, and she is willing to talk to anyone. To me how am I suppose to know that the wrong person isn’t going to send her a message. What happens if a sex offender like this article talks about contacts her? MySpace says that they do their best at removing sex offenders blogs, but people can create any screen name they want to and do not have to use their real names, how many people out there do you think are sex offenders that don’t use their real names, or how many of those people are potential sex offenders that are looking for someone to talk to.

I think that having a MySpace opens your life up to others, it can be a way of communicating, but so is the phone and e-mail. To me I feel that allowing 14 year olds to have MySpace is too young, in the article it states that they being MySpace.com can only monitor the 14 year old’s pages if they put their correct age on there. How many kids do you know who won’t portray that they are older than they really are? To me I think that all 50 states should want to seek out the sex offenders that are on MySpace. Like I said before there are so many people who use MySpace.com and open themselves up to having others know about their personal identity. I think that the people at MySpace should do whatever they have to do, to protect our youth and everyone else.

archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug

=webmyspace14&date=20070514&query

Sorry I had to do it on two lines for the web page because I could not get it all on one line.

(351)

No comments: